Friday, July 3, 2009

Homemade Whities

Chuck is the kind of guy that will happily eat whatever I set in front of him. Never a complaint and very few requests. Easiest man to cook for ever. Whenever he makes a suggestion/request for food I usually jump on it. When he sounded the craving alarm for a round of homemade Whities I wondered how on earth I would make tiny steamed burgers. Alton Brown to the rescue again.

A few years ago, Alton made Mini Man Burgers. These burgers proved to be quite tasty and I doubt I will make regular sized burgers again. I altered it slightly but stuck mostly to his recipe.

Ingredients:
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
1/2 t kosher salt
1lb ground chuck
1 package Kings Hawaiian Savory rolls
sauted thinly sliced onions
various toppings of your choice (cheese, mayo etc)

Mix together the spices and put in a shaker. Slice your onions and saute them for about 5min or desired doneness. Set aside. Divide your beef into 8 equal parts and pat them out very thin. Think Whities thin here. Lightly oil your cast iron pan and slap your Whities on the heat, sprinkle one side with desired amount of spice mixture. Flip and sprinkle the other side with spices. Slice your rolls in half and fill with your way better Whities and add your toppings.

I really thing the rolls made all the difference. I have never been a fan of commercial buns.
Homemade onion rings would rule as a side. Or you could go and be healthy and have some corn or something. As a major bonus, these do not produce the *ahem* sliding. Not that I ever had that issue.

Thank you Alton for yet another great recipe.

1 comment:

A said...

I think this sounds yummy, I can't wait until Jon comes back from vacation to try it. Thanks for stopping by my blog btw and posting. That was awesome. I clicked threw several posts here and I think I'll add you to my feed reader. Looks like we have a few things in common.:)