Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Babycakes, you got the cutest little babycakes!

Tonight, I let Sandra talk me into going to happy hour at Babycakes cupcakery in Patchen Village.
Talk into you wonder? Yeah, I am not a cake person. The thick icing compared to the dryness of a cake is blegh to me. My dislike of cake started early. My brother and I had a deal that he would eat my icing and I would take care of the green items on his plate at dinner. Odd duck? Maybe, but it was a good deal for me. My mother would actually cut me off on how much green beans or kale I was allowed to have at dinner.

Now, if it was one of my grandmother's cakes it would be a different story. She knew how to make a hillbilly cake. All from scratch. No measurements and it was all done in a buttered cast iron skillet. We would sit, wait and drool until the cake was out of the oven and then pounce on it like wolves. Zero icing. to get in your way and the cake was moist. mmmmm

Now back to our story. I was hesitant to go to a cupcakery. How much enjoyment would I, a known cake hater, get from this? Were they going to be all fluffy and pretty and then nasty and crisco-y? Armed with the idea that it was happy hour and the tiny cakes would be half off I decided to go along for the ride. I can splurge on some cake and if it is bad then point a finger at Sandra for years to come. Cause that is just the kind of friend I am.

We were greeted at the door by the super friendly cupcake lady. I can only assume she bakes, is the owner and knows what she is doing because she looks like I do when I bake all day.

I got 4 cupcakes: Key Lime, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Brownie and good ol Chocolate Fudge. So far we are sampling them slowly and the Key Lime was the first one to go. I must say that it was the best darn cupcake I have ever had. The icing was a smooth buttercreme(or is it cream. I hope cream) frosting and the cake was moist. Oh was it ever moist. The lime flavor was not over powering but was nice and subtle.

I will be back cake lady! You can visit Baby Cakes here too. Now go visit her.

6 comments:

snadra said...

I am glad you liked the cupcakes and I was saved from a lifetime of finger-pointing!

I really liked the blackberry cupcake a lot. The frosting was flavored with blackberries too. Yum! The chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake was the richest confection I've ever eaten. It was almost like fudge. Very, very tasty, but best served with a big glass of milk.

kriscake said...

Sandra: I am glad I did not have to point the cake hater finger at you as well. I think we need to suggest to babycakes that they should sell milk too.

Kiersten Hoehn said...

You should of brought me one!

kriscake said...

Kiersten: I would have brought you one but that calf of Zach's would have gone crazy and tried to eat it. Poor skinny little guy that he is. Maybe we should have fed him cake before the show :) Next time you are down we will try to head over to the cupcakery.

Kiersten Hoehn said...

Ok! Mom said we should of gave my cow some Beer, but it is against the rules.

kriscake said...

Kiersten: I think it would have taken a 5gallon batch of Uncle Chuck's homebrew to settle that cow down! But yeah, 4-H would probably frown on seeing a drunk cow in the ring :)