Friday, December 26, 2008

Greek Salad Love

If you know me at all then you know that I love to cook. I love finding a base recipe and tweaking it until it is my own. Then I like to stuff my friends silly with whatever is my current food obsession. (Yes, I know I have problems.)

Such is the case with the rough chopped simple beauty of the Greek salad. I have tried quite a few recipes then landed on a mixture of several. The outcome is absolutely perfect on my tastebuds.

Ingredients
4T extra virgin olive oil
2T lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4t dried oregano
1/2t kosher salt
1/4t fresh ground black pepper
2 heads romaine lettuce, hand torn to a good size
3-4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 English cucumber, quartered, seeded and chopped
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 red onion chopped
4oz feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup green olives, drained (for the love of gawd, use good olives)

Combine first six ingredients and set aside. Allow time for the flavors to blend. Plow through the chopping of all of the veggies and crumble your feta. I prefer to crumble mine with a fork. Feta fingers are a special kinda stinky. Toss everything together just before serving. Serve with crusty bread or some homemade crackers. Be still my heart.


Sorry for the crummy picture. I didn't think about taking one until it was too late.
That is what remains after I had my way with the leftovers from a small gathering.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was really nice of you guys to throw us a thing on the very next day after christmas. :-)

snadra said...

This recipe is way yummy indeed!