Thursday, November 13, 2008

For the Love of Bread: Part II

This round of bread did not go well. As in, it looked pretty but was not anything that I want to sit down and eat unless I am starving. The birds are currently eating it though. So it was not a total waste.

All seemed to go well until I was ready for the sponge to rest in the fridge over night. I lifted the plastic wrap to see if I could smell some yeasty goodness. OH how big of a mistake was that. It smelled like what my grandfather use to make out in the smoke house with his buddies. Then I had to prove what a fool I am by taking another nosehair burning whiff. Then I followed up that stupidity by trying to get Chuck to join in on the madness. Smart man that he is, he declined.

I did not give up. I was hopeful that the alcohol-ness would burn off over night which it did for the most part. However, a faint alcohol whiff was present all through the second rise. Bread baked up and looked good but I won't be going that route again.

I do have another spent grain recipe brewing in my mind so after next brew I will give it a go.

No comments: